Pantry Challenge: Dried Beans
Pantry Challenge: Black Bean Burgers
Black Bean Patties
2 flax eggs (1 tablespoon flax meal and 3 tablespoons water for each “egg”)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (drain well)
½ cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
½ cup coarsely ground oat flour
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1 zest and juice of one lime
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
1 tablespoon sriracha
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 small finely minced jalapeño, seeds removed
½ cup chopped cilantro
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F.
2. Line a small baking sheet with foil. Spray with non-stick spray.
3. Combine flax meal and water in a small bowl and whisk with a fork. Set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Add beans to a large bowl and mash roughly with a potato masher or fork.
5. Add all of the other ingredients and mix well. Taste the mixture to check seasoning and add more if necessary.
6. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes if possible. This helps it firm up a little and makes it easier to shape the patties.
7. Using oiled hands, shape into 6 balls, pressing them together really firmly then using the palm of your hand press down on the top of each one to make it a burger shape.
8. Place patties on foil-lined greased baking sheet.
9. Bake patties for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned.
10. Allow to cool on the pan for about 5 minutes. This will allow the patties to retain their shape when served.