Skip Navigation

Health Insurance

Student Affairs, The University of Oklahoma - Tulsa website wordmark
Skip Side Navigation

Student Health Insurance

All students in health science programs (OUHSC-based students) are required by the OU Board of Regents to have personal health insurance.  Students in Norman-based programs are not required to have health insurance, but are encouraged to seek coverage.

Academic Health Plans

Academic Health Plans (AHP) manages the University of Oklahoma sponsored student health insurance plan provided by Blue Cross and Blue Shield PPO of Oklahoma.  Enrollment forms and the Summary of Benefits are available online at

**OU Tulsa Students in HSC Degree Programs - follow links for University of Oklahoma-Health Sciences 

**OU Tulsa Students in Norman Degree Programs- follow links for University of Oklahoma-Norman

Academic Health Plans Customer Service

Questions regarding specific coverage, conditions, or enrollment should be directed to AHP Customer Service:


8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m., CST, Monday-Friday

Coverage with AHP

OU-Tulsa students with the university sponsored AHP insurance plan are encouraged to seek initial care at the OU-Tulsa Student Health Clinic. For OU-Tulsa students to obtain maximum coverage, please ensure you are seeing an in-network Blue Cross and Blue Shield PPO provider.

To access a list of BCBS PPO providers, students may visit Academic Health Plans website or click here.

OU-Tulsa Students in Health Sciences (HSC) Degree Programs

All HSC-based students are required by the University to have personal health insurance.  This includes all OU-Tulsa students in the Colleges of Allied Health, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Public Health.

Needlestick coverage is already an incorporated benefit in the Health Science Center insurance policy with AHP.  For the non-AHP insured student, AHP offers a supplemental needlestick insurance policy: Needlestick and Body Fluid Exposure policy.

OU-Tulsa Students in Norman-based Degree Programs

Norman based students are not required to have personal health insurance, but are encouraged to seek coverage.  This includes all students in the Colleges of Architecture, Arts and Sciences, Education, Engineering, and the Polytechnic Institute.

Graduate Assistants

GAs through the OU-Tulsa Graduate College are automatically enrolled in the AHP student health insurance plan; University of Oklahoma-Norman plan (Please see above). GAs are eligible to visit the OU-Tulsa Student Health Clinic and are encouraged to make this their initial point of care.

International Students

International students are required by the University to have personal health insurance and are automatically enrolled in AHP if proof of other acceptable insurance is not provided.  All international students should use the OU-Tulsa Student Health Clinic as their initial point of care.

Questions regarding the automatic enrollment into AHP or about other eligible policies should be directed to the Enrollment and Student Financial Services office at 918-660-3474.  Payment of the health fee does NOT constitute health insurance coverage and will not satisfy the University requirement.