Skip Navigation


Skip Side Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

When do I get advised?

If you are enrolling for the spring or summer semester, then we would recommend coming in late September or early October for your advising appointment. To enroll for fall semester, make your appointment to be advised by late February or early March. Remember, you cannot enroll until you have been advised. Appointments fill up fast along with classes, so please don't wait.

What is General Education?

Every student at OU will take courses common to all degree programs at the University. These include 6 hours of English Compostion, 3 hours of US History, 3 hours of Political Science, a social science, 2 sciences (one with lab and without lab), 4 courses in Humanities, Mathematics, Foreign Language, and a Senior Capstone course. Visit the GenEd site for further information.

Who was my advisor?

When you log into you will see your Academic Advisor's name and options for selecting appointment times.

Can I get advised more than once?

Certainly. Many times, students change their major, declare a major, want to take summer school, add a minor, etc. There are a number of reasons students would want to come in to get advised again. If you have questions about academic policies including adding and/or dropping courses, resources, or anything else, please come see an advisor. University College advising appointments must be made at

How do I calculate my GPA?

Since OU is on a 4.0 scale, we assign each letter grade a certain numerical value. A grade of A is worth 4 points, B is worth 3 points, C is 2 points, D is 1 point, and an F is 0 points. Take the number of semester credit hours which will apply to the course. This is indicated by the last digit in a course number (ENGL 1113, for example, will give you three hours of semester credit).  Multiply this number of credit hours (e.g. "3") by the points of the letter grade you realistically expect to get in the course. Once you have done this with each of your courses, add the total number of points and divide it by the total number of hours you are enrolled in. This will be your projected GPA for that semester.

If you want to see what you will need to do over time to bring up your GPA, please use the GPA calculator.

What if I am Undecided?

It is alright to be Undecided when you begin your college career. A high percentage of students are Undecided while they are in University College. This is a great time to figure out what you want to major in by taking assessment tests, exploring your interests through coursework, or meeting with Major Coach or Academic Advisor. You must declare a major in order to move from University College to your degree-granting college; unless you are a pre-health major.

How do I get early entry to OU?

The University of Oklahoma Early Entry Program affords high school juniors and seniors with exceptional abilities the opportunity to enroll in college courses on a limited basis. High School students may thus accumulate college credit prior to completing high school. Interested students should contact the office of Prospective Student Services at 405.325.2152 or 1.800.234.6868.

When do I enroll?

Enrollment is based on the number of credit hours you have completed, plus those in which you are currently enrolled. Check to find your enrollment window. Remember, you must be advised before you can enroll, and you must have no other enrollment stops.

How do I change my major?

To change your major you must complete a major change form in University College. This can either be done at the front desk or during your advising appointment. This cannot be done online. There is also no limit to the number of times that you can change your major.

What is a minor?

A minor is coursework in a second field of study. This minor becomes a secondary and optional area of interest for depth of study. It can be closely related to the major to serve as a support area, or it can be unrelated to the major choice. Upon graduation, the student's official transcript will reflect completion of their major and their minor. A minor is NOT a degree. A student cannot "earn" a minor without also successfully completing all general education requirements and major requirements for a baccalaureate degree.

There are college-based limits on who may pursue minors within colleges; check the college information carefully and consult with college advisors regarding questions.

Most minors here at the University of Oklahoma require 18 - 24 hours of coursework; each college sets particular parameters on which students may pursue minors within the college and which courses can be counted towards fulfilling minor requirements.

Why would a student choose to pursue a minor?

Successful completion of a minor is noted on the student's final transcript. Anyone reviewing this transcript will see the array of courses taken that led to this minor. The transcript will reflect someone who makes careful use of his or her educational experience to gain additional expertise.

If a student elects a minor in a closely related field to their major, their transcript will reflect an education somewhat more broad and robust, and less narrowly focused than that of a student electing only a major.

If a student elects a minor in an unrelated field to their major, his or her transcript will reflect an education much broader than the typical undergraduate transcript; and an individual who chooses to gain educational expertise in diverse domains of knowledge.

What are the requirements for Honor Rolls?

To qualify for the University College Dean's Honor, you must have 12 credit hours of letter-graded coursework with a 3.5 or higher GPA. For the OU President's Honor Roll you must have 12 credit hours of letter-graded coursework with a 4.0 GPA.