Skip Navigation

Non-Educational VA Benefits

Skip Side Navigation

Non-Educational VA Benefits

Service connected disability compensation is a tax-free benefit paid to Veterans for a disability (or disabilities) that either:

  1. Arose during military service

  2. Was worsened or aggravated by service

  3. Is presumed by VA to be related to military service

To receive disability compensation, you must have been discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.

Click Here for Disability Compensation
General Policy and Schedule Ratings by Sections


To access current rating information please click here.

Supporting Documents for Your Disability Claims You May Need to Know

electronic tablet survey

What is a DBQ?

A DBQ is a Disability Benefits Questionnaire, which is a downloadable form that veterans can use as part of the disability evaluation process. Please visit to access VA disability exams.

Doctor making notes about patient

What is NEXUS?

A NEXUS is a document that a doctor, medical professional or other qualified party prepares for a veteran that explains how, in their opinion, the current medical condition is related to their military service.

The Asian man working online.

What is a Buddy letter?

Sometimes, events that take place in the military are never recorded by a military unit. Having a "buddy" statement from someone who experienced the event along side you or witnessed your involvement can be very helpful.



I- Guaranteed loan

II- Refinancing loan

III- Specially Adapted Housing Grant


VA HOME LOANS may be used for:

  • Buy a home, or a condominium unit in a VA-approved project
  • Build a house
  • Simultaneously purchase and improve a home
  • Improve a home by installing energy-related features or making energy efficient improvements
  • Buy a manufactured home and/or lot
  • To refinance an existing VA-guaranteed or direct loan for the purpose of a lower interest rate
  • To refinance an existing mortgage loan or other indebtedness secured by a lien of record on a residence owend and occupied by the veteran as a home


Contact your VA REGIONAL OFFICE to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

For more information please click here.

I - Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)-  A monthly benefit paid to an eligible surviving spouse including an additional amount for dependent children. A parents" DIC may be paid to surviving parents based on financial need.


II - A surviving spouse and child(ren) who are eligible for DIC may also be eligible for:

  1. The Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) which provides reimbursement for most medical expenses.

  2. The Survivors and Dependents" Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35).

III - A survivors' pension paid is a monthly benefit to a low-income surviving spouse and child(ren) of a deceased veteran with wartime service.


For additional and detailed information please click here.

Burial and Memorial Benefits

I - Eligibility for burial in VA national cemetaries

II - Headstones and markers

III - Medallion in lieu of Government headstone or marker-for private cemetaries

IV - Military funeral honors

 V - Presidential Memorial Certificates

VI - Burial flags (can be integrated with the military funeral honors)

VII - Reimbursement/allowances for specified burial expenses

VIII - other non-VA cemetery information


For more complete and specific information click here.

Additional VA forms

SF-180: Requests pertaining to military records such as DD-124 or military awards. Veterans or next-of-kin to deceased veterans can use the on-line order form or submit a paper SF-180.

DD-149: Application for correction of military record.

DD-293: Request an upgrade of military discharge from the appropriate discharge review board.


Other sites that may be helpful

The Military Wallet - The Military Wallet is a personal finance and benefits website for military members, veterans and their families. Our goal is to help the military community better manage money and understand the variety of programs and benefits available to them.

USA JOBS - If you’re a Veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and were separated under honorable conditions, you may be eligible for veterans’ preference, as well as other veteran specific hiring options.