OU Norman Campus Weather Alert 12PM:
All Norman campus classes will resume remote instruction for Feb. 18-19. Campus will remain closed throughout the end of the week. OU Athletics competitions have been postponed. Please check soonersports.com for further information. Employees able to work remotely should, and essential employees are to follow their current schedules. Please check with your supervisor if you are unsure of your work schedule. Nonessential employees who cannot work remotely will receive administrative leave. For road conditions, visit okroads.org.
The university is providing information to help you prepare and stay informed about weather conditions on the Norman campus.
For the Norman campus, a Winter Storm Watch is in effect beginning at midnight late Saturday night/early Sunday morning and ending at 6 p.m. on Monday. Dangerously cold wind chills are expected through early next week, with the potential for a significant snowfall Sunday into Monday.
For the latest Norman campus weather updates:
- Daily campus weather updates are posted on the Department of Campus Safety webpage and on the OU Emergency Preparedness Facebook.
- Regular updates throughout the day are posted on the OU Emergency Preparedness Twitter.
Any preparations for the winter weather should be made today or Saturday. Before the storm arrives:
- Stock up on food, water, medication, and other necessities.
- Have batteries and flashlights on hand in case you lose power during the storm.
- Keep cell phones and other electronics charged.
- Plan to bring pets inside during winter weather.
- Given the extended forecast for Tues., Feb. 16, and beyond, employees who are able to work remotely are encouraged to be prepared to do so next week if necessary.
During the winter storm and immediately after:
- Stay indoors during the storm.
- If you must go outside, walk carefully on snowy or icy walkways. Limit your outdoor exposure to 15-minute intervals.
- Wear multiple insulating layers of clothing topped with a heavy coat. When outdoors, cover all exposed skin. Wear your mask along with a warm hat, gloves, and waterproof footwear.
- Do not drive unless it is absolutely necessary. If you must drive: travel in the day; don’t travel alone; keep others informed of your schedule; stay on main roads and avoid back road shortcuts. Keep a blanket, water, and snacks in your vehicle in case you get stuck.
- If you go outside, practice the “buddy system.” Bring along a companion, or let someone know your destination, your route, and when you expect to arrive.
- If you shovel out a car, fully clear the area in and around the tailpipe.
- Avoid overexertion when shoveling snow. Limit your outdoor exposure to 15-minute intervals.
- Watch for signs of frostbite (loss of feeling and whiteness or paleness in fingers, toes, ear lobes, tip of the nose or other extremities). If symptoms are detected, get medical help immediately.
- Watch for signs of hypothermia (uncontrollable shivering, memory loss, disorientation, incoherence, slurred speech, drowsiness, apparent exhaustion).
- If symptoms of hypothermia are detected, get to a warm location, remove wet clothing, warm the center of the body first and drink warm, non-alcoholic beverages. Get medical help as soon as possible.
- Those living off campus should let their faucets drip to avoid freezing pipes.
Students Living on Campus:
The following dining locations will be open during regular business hours. All other food operations will be closed:
- Cate Restaurants
- Couch Restaurants
- Raising Cane’s (Adams Center)
- Residential Colleges Dining Halls
- Wagner Dining Hall
For more information and updates regarding OU Housing and dining, visit ou.edu/housingandfood.
To receive OU Alerts in the event of a weather or safety emergency, make sure your contact information is up-to-date in OU’s emergency alert system, RAVE. These timely warnings are designed to reach the entire campus community through the use of email, text message alerts, and/or phone calls.
To update or to verify your emergency contact information, please use these campus-specific links:
- Norman Faculty/Staff/Students - account.ou.edu
- HSC Faculty/Staff/Students - ouhsc.edu/ecs
- Tulsa - Use the appropriate link for your campus of record
Members of the community may opt-in to receive emergency alerts for the Norman campus by texting OUALERTS to 67283.
For more information, visit: