OU Office of Admissions & Recruitment Updates
Below are some changes the University of Oklahoma is making as an institution. Some of these are temporary changes as we respond to the evolving COVID-19 situation, and others are permanent admissions cycle changes that we will implement for next year’s class of seniors.
The OU Admissions & Recruitment is doing everything in our power to take responsible action to limit the spread of COVID-19 without sacrificing the quality of support we provide to prospective students. We continue to adjust our strategy as the situation evolves, but at the moment, this means:
- All campus tours are canceled through July 31.
- The Experience, McLaurin-Lewis Leadership Conference, and First Sooner II – all of which are events for admitted high school seniors – will no longer occur as on-campus programs. We will instead offer virtual programming in their place.
- Sooner Saturday, our big open house for high school juniors and transfer students, is postponed until the fall.
- We are extending our enrollment commitment deadline for admitted seniors to June 1. This means students will have until June 1 to submit their enrollment commitment and secure their place in our freshman class.
- We are now accepting updated test scores for admitted seniors through the July 31 test date.
- Our physical office is closed, but students can schedule a phone or video call with us at ou.edu/go2/virtualresources.
Updates for the 2020-21 Admissions Cycle
The below changes to our timeline and process will affect all future applicants, starting with the incoming freshman class of 2021.
Early Action Admission Deadline - Nov. 1
- We are adding an early action admission deadline of Nov. 1. Students must have submitted their application by this date to be considered for the benefits of early action, including priority admission, merit-based scholarships, financial aid, and earlier access to housing, just to name a few.
- We are aware of the potential strain this earlier deadline could add to students, particularly as it relates to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis and its potential impact on the next recruitment cycle, but we are encouraging students to submit their applications early so they can make educated decisions about their college options earlier in the process. We will still consider students for scholarships and admission after this date.
- Dec. 15 will remain our final scholarship deadline, while Feb. 1 is the final day to apply for admission.
- Our freshman admission application for fall 2021 will still open on Aug. 1!
ACT Testing Updates
- Starting in September 2020, students will be able to take single subsection exams of the ACT. Additionally, ACT will begin providing colleges and universities with blended superscores that include the highest subsections taken by individual students.
- We will use superscoring for admission and scholarship decisions and will retroactively superscore exams for students entering OU as freshmen in fall 2021 all the way back to tests taken in September 2016. We will share more information at a later day about how this change applies to students who take the residual exam.
- ACT will be providing more fee waivers for students who qualify to send their scores in to colleges and universities.
- We're working with the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education to clarify how we will handle SAT scores for admission and scholarship purposes
Self-Reported Test Scores
- We will now use self-reported test scores when evaluating students for admission. This will enable students to have both an admission decision and scholarship information sooner.
- In order for a student to enroll at OU for classes, they must have an official, verified score. Most students will simply send in scores from the testing agency, and the easiest way to do this is to indicate they want to send their score to OU when they sign up for the ACT or SAT.
- Ultimately, in most cases we want students to self-report on the application and verify through the testing agency. All scores must be verified before the student's enrollment.