The National Weather Center houses a unique confederation of University of Oklahoma, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and state organizations that work together in partnership to improve understanding of events occurring in Earth’s atmosphere over a wide range of time and space.
General Tour Information
- All tours require a reservation due to scheduling and security guidelines (walk-in tours are not permitted). Tours fill up quickly, so please allow 1-2 weeks advanced notice for reservations.
- Only those tour guests registered in advance will be allowed to tour the NWC. On-site and last-minute additions to the tour guest list are prohibited for security purposes.
- Federal offices are part of the National Weather Center. All persons entering those spaces are subject to federal policies, guidelines, and regulations. All persons and packages are subject to inspection.
- Tours are not available on federal holidays, school holidays, and on occasion due to scheduled events.
- There is no charge for tours of the National Weather Center.
- The National Weather Center tour is a walking tour, as guests will visit various spaces and offices throughout the facility. The National Weather Center is handicapped accessible; however, if a tour guest needs a mobility device for the tour (walker, wheelchair, powerchair, cane, etc.), tour guests will need to bring those devices with them for the tour.
- Photography is allowed on the tour, so you are welcome to bring a camera or cellphone to take pictures.
NWC Bag Policy
Due to heightened security measures, the following baggage and parcel control policy is in effect for the National Weather Center (see the above graphic for prohibited and approved bags):
- Visitors are allowed only a small clutch purse or small clear tote for tours of the National Weather Center.
- Prohibited bags include: backpacks, diaper bags, fanny packs, camera bags, purses, luggage, shopping bags, large cameras or other items that can offer concealment. Please leave these items in your vehicle prior to the tour.
- Wheelchairs, strollers, walkers, canes, umbrellas, jackets, sweaters, small wallets, medication, small cameras and camcorders, cell phones, and small sealable beverage containers are permitted and subject to inspection.
- This policy is subject to change without notice.
Information for Foreign National Guests
- NWC Security Guidelines require that foreign nationals (non-US citizens) obtain security clearance. Foreign national visitors are required to complete and submit the NWC Foreign National Visitor Form at least two weeks in advance of a tour date. In order to receive the required form, you must first register for a tour. Click the Request NWC Tour below to register for a tour.
Request an NWC Tour
Click the "Request NWC Tour" button below to view the NWC Tour Calendar to select an open, available tour to register yourself and your tour party for an upcoming tour.
Please note that our online system allows you to request an NWC tour. The online system is not an official tour confirmation. The tour coordinator will officially confirm your tour once the request is received. You will receive a tour confirmation email with specific tour details (location, parking, regulations, etc.) once your tour is confirmed.
Make sure that you have reviewed the tour descriptions below to select an appropriate tour for which to register your tour party.
Public Tour Information
- Public tours are offered on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Friday at 1pm
- Tour duration: 1-1.5 hours
- Public tours include visits to the McCasland Family Observation Deck, School of Meteorology, the NOAA/NWS Storm Prediction Center, the NWS Norman Weather Forecast Office, and the National Severe Storm Laboratory.
Group and School Tour Information
(Parties of 10 or more, max. 35) (School Tours: Grades 3-12)
- Group Tours are offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10am and 1pm
- Please indicate group size in tour reservation (tour groups of 50 and larger require additional tour guides). Make sure to also include your group name in your tour reservation.
- You may request a group tour (if your group tour party meets the requirements listed above) and submit the tour guest list (first name, last name, and citizenship) at a date closer to the actual tour.
- Tour duration: 1.5 hours
- Group tours include visits to the McCasland Family Observation Deck, School of Meteorology, the NOAA/NWS Storm Prediction Center, the NWS Norman Weather Forecast Office, and the National Severe Storm Laboratory.
Prospective Student Tour Information
(Prospective high school students, transfer students)
- Register for an open, available public tour (Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 1pm). Indicate on your tour reservation that you are a prospective student.
- If you are interested in meeting with an OU School of Meteorology representative to discuss the program in more detail, School of Meteorology information sessions take place on Monday and Wednesday afternoons at 2:30pm following the 1pm National Weather Center public tour and Friday mornings at 11:30am before the National Weather Center tour. You can schedule your information session using this link.
- Tour duration: 1.5 hours
- Prospective student tours, as part of public tours, include visits to the McCasland Family Observation Deck, School of Meteorology, the NOAA/NWS Storm Prediction Center, the NWS Norman Weather Forecast Office, and the National Severe Storm Laboratory.
- If you are interested in an OU Campus Tour, please contact OU Admissions & Recruitment.