Skip Navigation

In-State/Out-of-State FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions Concerning In-State/Out-of-State Status

The University of Oklahoma is a state-supported institution of higher education supported by legislative funds derived from State of Oklahoma tax revenue. As a state, tax-supported institution, the University gives preference in tuition pricing to residents of the State of Oklahoma.

The Office of Admissions determines your residency status based on information on your application as well as supporting documentation submitted with your application and how it relates to residency policy established by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education. Your resident status, determined at the time of your application, will remain in effect unless a petition is submitted and re-classification is granted.

No. It is the student’s responsibility to petition for re-classification once he or she has met the “Basic Definition of Resident Status”.

If you have a non-custodial parent (one who you normally don’t live with) who is a resident of Oklahoma, you may be classified as an in-state student once a petition and statement with supporting documentation of primary care, custody and support is submitted by the parent residing in Oklahoma.

No. The University of Oklahoma does not participate in any in-state reciprocity agreement with bordering states.

No. Your residency is that of your parents/guardian. To qualify for residency, you will still have to meet the “Basic Definition of Resident Status”.

No. There is not a set score that automatically allows a non-resident student to receive in-state tuition. You may apply for scholarships and tuition waivers. Please visit scholarships for additional information.

No. Resident status is based on the location of your permanent domicile. This is considered to be your fixed, permanent home and where you (or your parents) habitually reside. Since domicile has two components, residence and intent to remain indefinitely, a person can have more than one residence but only one domicile.

No. Application for a state certification or exam does not qualify you for in-state tuition status because this application is not considered sufficient evidence of intent to remain indefinitely.

If you are supported and claimed as a dependent by non-resident parent(s) or guardian(s), your residence is presumed to be that of your parent/guardian.

When considering a student for reclassification, there are three main requirements:

  1. Documented financial independence for the current and previous tax year
  2. Twelve consecutive months of living in the state of Oklahoma prior to the term he/she is seeking residency (this excludes student housing)
  3. Evidence of “intent to remain” in Oklahoma upon graduation

Once a petition is received, it is reviewed within 4-6 weeks. Decisions are made immediately, if possible, but there are delays when petitions are submitted with insufficient documentation. A letter will be sent requesting additional information if necessary.

Yes. If you establish residency in another state or if you are absent from Oklahoma for twelve months for purposes other than education. You may also lose in-state status if the University of Oklahoma finds your resident status was granted on the basis of false or misleading information.

A student shall be eligible for in-state status without meeting other domiciliary requirements if the student is a person who is participating in or has received a partial or full scholarship from the Air Force Reserve Officers' Training Corps, Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps or the Navy/Marines Reserve Officers' Training Corps. “Participating” is defined as any student who is fully and actively participating in all aspects of the ROTC program (class, physical fitness training, leadership training (lab). The appropriate ROTC branch will determine whether a student meets the eligibility criteria for the program. Students who do not remain eligible participants/scholarship recipients in ROTC will be reclassified as out-of-state and non-resident tuition will be assessed.