Skip Navigation


Flags on South Oval

Veteran Students & Dependents

At the University of Oklahoma, we value our military service-connected students as civic assets and leaders to our university. As a community, we learn from one another, volunteer together, serve each other, work to nurture the growth of our military families on campus, and celebrate their successes. This website is designed to help you navigate the application process at OU as a veteran student or their dependents. We would love to welcome you into our community! 

Apply to Join the OU Family

The OU Office of Admissions and Recruitment coordinates undergraduate admissions for both incoming freshmen and prospective transfer students. Please note the information on this page is geared toward undergraduate admissions on OU's main campus, but follow the links below to explore other program options, including the OU Graduate College, OU Online, and the OU College of Professional and Continuing Studies. 

Undergraduate Admissions

Apply to OU as a freshman, transfer, or international student. Choose from more than 170 academic programs and earn your bachelor’s degree from OU.

Apply Now

Graduate College

Further your education with a graduate degree from OU. Explore all of OU’s graduate programs, including the more than 120 offered on the Norman campus, in one place.

Graduate College

OU Online


Make an impact on your future with the flexibility of online classes and top-tier faculty. Programs have been developed in highly sought-after fields designed to advance your career.

OU Online



Learn more about the Professional and Continuing Studies' bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, and certificate programs offered for non-traditional students.


On-Campus Resources

Refer to the list below to learn more about a variety of organizations and programs dedicated to your success at the University of Oklahoma. This includes information about using GI Bill ® Benefits, student organizations, academic and financial resources, and more. 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at GI Bill | Veterans Affairs (

Off-Campus Resources

The Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) program at the University of Central Oklahoma is a federally funded program by the Department of Education designed to help U.S. military veterans enter and succeed in higher education. VUB staff also provides advising services to help military members understand their options to attend, pay for and obtain a college degree.

The VUB program will help any qualified veteran no matter what school he or she plans to attend.

For more information on the Veterans Upward Bound program, click here.


Meet Current Military-Connected OU Students

PAVE Students

The OU Peer Advisors for Veteran Education Program (PAVE) was established in fall 2019 and is one of 42 PAVE programs on college campuses nationwide. Read more about OU student veterans Dan Nyagol and Brandon Hovis, as well as active duty member Brooke Pemberton, as they talk about their involvement with the organization.

Read Story

Frequently Asked Questions

You must apply for your educational benefits through the VA in Muskogee, OK online at Please call the VA education hotline for assistance 1-888-442-4551. See Step by Step guide using VA benefits on main Norman campus for more information. 

Residency classification for tuition purposes is a fairly complex issue. We suggest you review the In-State/Out-of-State Tuition Policy, and then if you have questions please contact OU Veteran Student Services at (405) 325-4308,

Yes. It is suggested that students apply for financial aid through This will give you a cushion in the event your GI Bill® benefits are delayed as well as give you the opportunity to apply for scholarships that may be offered to veterans. If you only qualify for loans, you have the option to decline them. Financial Aid Services may require documentation stating the amount of VA benefits that you will receive each semester.  You may request that proof from Veteran Student Services via email or stop by and we will be happy to assist you. Chapter 31-VA Vocational Rehabilitation Students please contact your case manager for a letter. See the OU Financial Aid Services website for more information.

The university awards credit for educational experiences during military service according to the recommendations of the American Council on Education as published in the “The Guide to the Evaluation of Military Experiences in the Armed Services.” Students who wish to establish credit for educational experiences in the military should contact:
Transcript Evaluation Office
Buchanan Hall
1000 Asp Ave., Room 330
Norman OK 73019-4076
ph: (405) 325-0514

See Credit for Military Personnel and Veterans for more information.

The University of Oklahoma offers a variety of online programs, including degrees through the College of Professional and Continuing Studies and OU Online. Visit their pages to explore available programs. 

Connect With Us

Contact Veteran Student Services

Veteran Student Services offices operate independently on each OU campus, so please contact the office associated with your degree program. The Norman Main Campus VSS office can be reached at (405) 325-4308 or

Sign Up for Our Mailing List

If you do not already receive emails from OU, fill out this form! We will use the information you provide to connect you with academic, scholarship, admission, student life information and opportunities, and more.