Skip Navigation

Transfer Students

Skip Side Navigation

Transfer Students - Welcome and General Information

Welcome to the University of Oklahoma! We are thrilled to have you as a member of our Sooner family! This web site is designed to give you information specific to Transfer Students and to provide you with answers most often asked by our new transfer students.


I'm New -- Now What?

Transfer students come to the University of Oklahoma from varying schools and backgrounds -- some from two-year colleges and some from four-year universities; some from small towns and some from large cities. The one common factor is that all transfer students bring experience from another educational environment. Every new student comes with uncertainty about what the OU experience is going to offer. To help our transfer students acclimate to OU quickly, we have assembled some of the most frequently asked questions. If you do not find the answer to your question, or if you have a suggestion for this web page, please contact us by email at (and include your ID number) or call (405) 325-1596.


female student studying

Who Is My Advisor?

As a new transfer student, your first priority is to meet with your college-level academic counselor. This meeting is critical, as your academic counselor will review your transcript with you to let you know how your transfer coursework applies to your degree program at the University of Oklahoma. Your academic counselor will also give you a brief orientation to OU and your college, as well as provide your initial advising. The Who-How-Where of Advising will provide you with information about your chosen college and who your advisor is.


How Do I Make An Appointment With My Advisor?

The University of Oklahoma uses the iAdvise appointment system. When you log in with your OUNetID or OU email address and password, the system will take you into your advsior appointment book to schedule an appointment.  


How Do I Get Credit For My Transfer Courses?

two students studying near the the seed sower statue

Transfer credit can show on your transcript in several different ways:

  • equated to a specific OU course
  • not equated to an OU course, but carrying general education credit
  • not equated to an OU course and carrying no general education credit, in which case it generally carries elective credit

In your initial visit with your college-level academic counselor you will learn how the credit applies to your OU degree program. Your academic counselor also can provide in-depth information about the process of ensuring credit for transfer work.


The Transfer Equivalencies Database website provides an explanation of how to use the database as well as general information about transfer courses. In addition to being helpful for identifying equivalent courses from 'elsewhere,' the site is very helpful in identifying equivalent courses for students who might want to take courses at another institution to transfer back to OU. If a course is not listed in the database, an transfer equivalency specialist in the Academic Records office (405-325-5952); is the best source for initial questions in getting help with this area.


How Do I Get Involved On Campus?

group photo of OU OATS 2014

Transfer students sometimes feel like outsiders because they did not come to OU directly from high school. The Oklahoma Association of Transfer Students was created with these students in mind, and their purpose is to help transfer students become full-fledged Sooners as quickly as possible. The board is composed of students who transferred to OU, and because they have walked the transfer student path, they are a great resource for help from someone who knows what you are dealing with.

The Student Life website also has information about how to get involved in campus organizations.