Skip Navigation

Travel Support

OU Dodge Family College of Arts and Sciences, Department of History of Science, Technology, and Medicine, The University of Oklahoma wordmark
Skip Side Navigation

Travel Support

The HSTM department and the University of Oklahoma have several travel and research grant programs to help students conduct research outside the Norman area and to present research at professional meetings.  All students with department or university support will need to complete a Travel Expense Sheet (xlsx) in order to receive their reimbursements.

The department uses the completed Travel Expense Sheet (Excel) form to complete a State of Oklahoma Travel Voucher. Regulations regarding the reimbursement of travel expenses are specified in the Oklahoma statutes. The Office of State Finance has the responsibility of interpreting these statutes and issuing guidelines with which all state agencies must comply. Graduate students may wish to become familiar with the State requirements in order to provide the necessary information for reimbursement. State requirements can be found here.

Be sure to check OU's travel policies, etc.

Department Support

For more information regarding travel and research award funding from the department, please email

DeGolyer Graduate Fellowship in History of Science

History of Science Research Award

University Support

Graduate College Travel and Research Grants, (scroll down to "Travel and Research Grants) including:

  • Robberson Travel Grants provide financial assistance to graduate students who are presenting their research results or creative products at a professional venue. Robberson Research Grants provide financial assistance for expenses incurred as graduate students conduct their research or produce their creative products. Funded activities may include dissertation or thesis research and national research presentations, exhibitions or performances.
  • Robberson Research and Travel Grants are awarded on a competitive basis. Submission of an application does not a guarantee of funding. We encourage application submission well in advance of your expected travel dates or research expenditure needs.
  • The Robberson and Wethington Scholarships provide financial assistance for academically outstanding students to attend competitive and prestigious training/courses at other universities or institutions. Funding for this opportunity is provided from the Richard, Mary, and Glenn Robberson fund and the Mr. and Mrs. W.O. Wethington Scholarship fund. 

Eddie Carol Smith Scholarship (pdf). The Eddie Carol Smith Scholarship is a one-year award that will go to a graduate student whose research/capstone project either opens a new area of scholarly endeavor or significantly expands an existing area of scholarly endeavor.

Student Travel Assistance Program. (Scroll down to "Student Travel Assistance Program.") The College of Arts and Sciences provides funds to support undergraduate and graduate student travel for research, presentation of research, or other educationally valuable purposes.

Graduate Student Senate (GSS) Research & Conference Grants. The Graduate Student Senate (GSS) offers grants to assist graduate students of the University of Oklahoma in research and scholarly participation. These grants are designed to encourage graduate students to attend and/or present at professional and graduate conferences, creative exhibitions, and career fairs or to facilitate scholarly research.

Presidential International Travel Fellowship. These fellowships were initially funded from an endowment established with the proceeds from the sale of the University's Hacienda "El Cobano" in Colima, Mexico. President David Boren has increased these fellowships by allocating more funds in support of international travel for study abroad. This fund provides money specifically to help with the travel portions of OU students’ experiences abroad.

Neustadt and Puterbaugh Student Research Grant Program. World Literature Today provides research grants to cover the cost of buying books and other research materials and to travel to research and conference sites. Although these grants are intended to assist students working with authors in the Neustadt and Puterbaugh courses sponsored by WLT, students who are not taking these courses but are working in areas relating to literary and international studies may also apply for a research grant. Grants are given on a monthly basis, and students may submit the following application at any time.