Canvas Teaching Tips are distributed by the Dodge Family College of Arts and Sciences Online and Academic Technology Services office and offer SHORT helpful tips about Canvas, online learning, and academic technology.
Journaling in Canvas
You can create a journaling assignment right in Canvas!
Using Groups and Discussions each student can be given an individual space to record their writings in a journal-like format.
All posts will be automatically dated and student entries will appear in SpeedGrader where they can be easily graded.
There are many possible applications including:
- > Critical thinking
- > Observation journal
- > Personal reflection
- > Creative writing
- > Application of concepts
- > Analysis
Steps to Create a Journal Assignment:
Use the Group tool to create a group space for each student. The number of groups in the group set you create will be the same as the number of students you have in class. (How to Create Groups)
Create a Group discussion. (How to Create a Group Discussion)
- This will create a “discussion” for each individual student where they can submit entries (this area will be their student journal).
- Only you and the student will see this space.
- It will automatically date each entry they make.
- You can make just one of these group discussions for the whole semester or break it down into weeks.
- All of the entries for each student will show-up in SpeedGrader at once so it is easy to grade them.
Canvas help is easy to find and always available. Click the Help button in the Canvas global navigation for 24 hour support and great help guides.