Skip Navigation


Students studying in the Great Reading Room in Bizzell Memorial Library.

Master of Social Work

How to Apply: Social Work Master's Program

Step 1

Start your University of Oklahoma Graduate Application

*To be admissible, you must have a 3.0 GPA on your last conferred degree, or a maintained 3.0 GPA for at least 12 credit hours of graduate work. 

Step 2

Attach Necessary Items

  1. Resume
  2. Copy of transcript
  3. Three Recommenders' Contact Information
  4. Essay Questions as part of your Statement of Purpose

Step 3

Submit application with the $50 application fee


Important Dates

Application Opens: Spring Admission
(Norman and Tulsa)

Application Closes: Spring Admission

Application Opens: Fall Admission

Application Closes: Fall Admission

* Outside of these dates, contact us directly to apply
Norman & Tulsa:

*Application for Summer admission to the 36 hour Advanced Standing MSW program is open:

October 1 - April 1


Full Time

Anne & Henry Zarrow Hall
Norman - Full Time

60 Hours - 2 Year Program

Degree Sheet (DOCX)


OU Tulsa Campus
Tulsa - Full Time

60 Hours - 2 Year Program

Degree Sheet (DOCX)

OU Norman Campus
Advanced Standing - Full Time

33 Hours, 1 Year Program

Degree Sheet, 3 or 4 Semesters (PDF)


Part Time

Anne & Henry Zarrow Hall
Norman - Part Time

60 Hours - 3 Year Program

Degree Sheet (PDF)

OU Tulsa Library
Tulsa - Part Time

60 Hours - 3 Year Program

Degree Sheet (PDF)

North oval with crimson and cream mums.
Advanced Standing, Part Time

33 Hours, 2 Year Program 

Degree Sheet, 5 Semesters (PDF)


OU Student on laptop
Online - Full Time



Apply Now

Online MSW

We also offer an Online MSW Program

OU Student on Laptop
Online - Advanced Standing

Certificate Program: Social Work with American Indians

The Social Work with American Indians Certificate represents the collaboration of two strong departments within the university that are dedicated to the education of people regarding the rich history and present status of tribal nations in the United States and Oklahoma.

Social Work and Native American Studies are committed to the utilization of professorial expertise and tribal partnerships to produce culturally relevant OU graduates prepared to work effectively with tribal nations to increase the well-being of American Indian and Alaska Native children, families, and communities.

15 Hours Total

3 Core Courses = 9 Hours

  1. SWK5343 Social Work with American Indians 
  2. SWK5303 American Indian Behavioral Health 
  3. SWK5283 Tribal US Child and Family Policy 

6 remaining hours - selected from courses within Social Work and Native American studies with prior approval.

Current students wishing to graduate with this certificate must meet with Dr. Lisa Byers to discuss the coursework and process. 

Email Dr. Lisa Byers

For students pursuing a graduate certificate, the Social Work with American Indians Certificate Program Report form is due to the Graduate College no later than the final semester of certificate coursework.

SWK with American Indians
Certificate Program Report (PDF)


Dual Degrees

At the Anne and Henry Zarrow School of Social Work, our students have the opportunity to complete a dual degree. Students interested in dual degrees must be fully admitted to both programs. Typically a dual degree will reduce each degree by twenty percent. Currently we offer the following options:

Master of Social Work/ Generic Dual Degree

For more information on the Generic Dual Degree, contact the Graduate Coordinator on desired campus

Tulsa - Jon Kratz,
Norman - Charlotte Kendrick,


Master of Social Work/ Master of Arts in International Studies

  • Students learn how to approach social, political and economic justice issues by combining an International Studies – Global Studies paradigm with the ecological framework of social work.
  • The program incorporates a specific focus on global studies with a specialization in global economics and development. This course of study equips students with the skills to improve economic and infrastructure needs of global communities and populations through evidence-based practices.
  • All students, however, must be admitted to the OU School of Social Work and the OU College of International Studies.

For more information, contact the Graduate Coordinator Charlotte Kendrick at

Master of Social Work/Master of Public Health

  • Accelerated dual degree program resulting in an MPH in Health Promotion Sciences from the OUHSC Hudson of Public Health and an MSW from the OU Anne and Henry Zarrow School of Social Work. A total of 88 curriculum hours are required to complete both degrees.
  • Graduates of these programs will work as agents of change to advance the health of individuals, families, and communities and elevate the status of people, populations or communities that experience considerable vulnerability and injustice within Oklahoma and the broader society.
  • Applicants must be admitted to both programs. See the requirements for the College of Public Health portion at this link.   MPH.MSW Health Promotion Sciences

For more information, contact the Graduate Coordinator Charlotte Kendrick at

Scholarships Available

Norman BASW Program

The Norman BASW program offers a variety of scholarships based on any of the following:  GPA; financial need; minority status; Oklahoma residency; personal faith; economic, mental & physical handicap; desire to work with the handicapped.  The dollar amount of these scholarships varies ranges from $300 to $3,000 for a school year (fall & spring).  Students can apply through the OU CASH system Oct. 1 to Feb. 1 for the following school year.


Tulsa BASW Program

Through the generous support of the The Anne and Henry Zarrow Foundation, many scholarships are available to support BASW students at the OU-Tulsa campus.  These scholarships are mmainly based on GPA and financial need.  The dollar amount of these scholarships varies. Students starting the program in the spring or summer are also eligible to apply.

Additional Questions?

Aimee Carr

Questions Regarding OU Tulsa

Email Aimee Carr, Admissions and Enrollment Specialist



Master in Social Work Graduate Manual 2023-2024

Graduate Manual (pdf)

Anne & Henry Zarrow School of Social Work Student Performance Policy

Student Performance Policy (pdf)

Field Education Practicum Manual

Field Education Manual (pdf)