Department of International and Area Studies
Top 10 Reasons to Join IAS
- We promote and advocate for the internationalization of the university experience.
- We are home to people of different backgrounds, nationalities, experiences, perspectives and worldviews.
- We have a multi-disciplinary department comprised of talented professors who study diverse regions and issue areas.
- We have study abroad offerings in over 100 cities throughout 50 countries across the globe.
- We operate study centers in Brazil, Italy and Mexico.
- We offer career-networking opportunities, including a Washington and the World experience and the LEAdership Fellows (LEAF) program.
- We provide scholarships to help fund study abroad programs, internships and research.
- We house the Department of State (DOS) Diplomat in Residence and participate in the DOS Diplomacy Lab.
- We have a growing base of alumni in every corner of the world.
- We coordinate the Arabic Language Flagship Program.
Recent Graduates are:
- Working at US Embassies around the world.
- Employed with the United Nations.
- Attending medical or law school.
- Developing non-profit and non-governmental organizations.
- Researching for governmental offices and think tanks.
- Doing work with the European Union.
- Serving in the US Military.
- Researching or teaching on Fulbright Fellowships.
- Traveling as international reporters.
- Engaged in national politics.
- Participating in the Peace Corps and United States Agency for International Development.
The University of Oklahoma and Department of International and Area Studies advance a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by embracing each person’s unique contributions, background and perspectives. OU Norman, OU Tulsa and the Health Sciences Center recognize that fostering an inclusive environment for all, with particular attention to the needs of historically marginalized populations, is vital to the pursuit of excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission and enhances the OU experience for all students, faculty and staff.
For more information on diversity initiatives in the Department of International and Area Studies, please contact Amel Khalfaoui, Chair of the Committee on Diversity, Inclusion and Equity, or Eric Heinze, Chair of the Department of International and Area Studies.