Skip Navigation

Economic Hardship

Skip Side Navigation

Economic Hardship Employment Authorization for F-1 and J-1 Students

A possible option for employment authorization for certain qualifying international students is proof of severe and unforeseen economic hardship. If an F-1 or J-1 student enters into severe and unforeseen economic hardship, s/he may apply to the USCIS for permission to work for any off-campus employer. The USCIS grants economic hardship employment authorization on a very limited basis.

Economic Hardship Employment Authorization Application Instructions (PDF)