Skip Navigation

J-1 Employment Authorization

Skip Side Navigation

J-1 Academic Training Work Authorization

Academic training provides work authorization for the purpose of work, training, or experience related to your field of study, giving you an opportunity to gain actual employment experience in your chosen profession. Academic training may be used during your degree program or begun within 30 days after completion of degree requirements. It is authorized by OU ISS and does not require a fee or application to the USCIS.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Maintanence of J-1 status
  • Possess a job offer from a specific employer or training site that is directly related to their field of study.


  • Academic training is limited to 18 months, which includes all academic training, before or after completion of studies.
  • The total training period may not exceed the amount of time spent in full course of study.
  • For postdoctoral training after the completion of a US degree, academic training is limited to 36 months.
  • All academic training counts as full-time, even if the employment is on a part-time basis.
  • Your application will not be processed if you have a hold from the Bursar Office (Student Financial Center) on your account.

Application Materials

  1. A letter from your academic advisor in your academic department recommending you for academic training. All information on the template is required; view template.

  2. An offer letter from the US employer. All information on the template is required; view template.

  3. A copy of your valid passport, visa, and I-94 card.

  4. A copy of your health insurance card. If you have dependents, you must also provide copies of their health insurance cards.

  5. If you are extending your post-completion Academic Training beyond the initial authorization period, there is a fee in the amount of $100. Pay the fee here

  6. Complete the Academic Training form to submit your request and required documentation.

After Applying

Your application will be reviewed. If approved, we will make the necessary endorsements for academic training, creating your new DS-2019 and an academic training employment authorization letter. 

You cannot legally work in the US until you receive the updated DS-2019 and employment authorization letter from OU ISS.