Online M.S. in Civil Engineering
The online M.S. in Civil Engineering is a 32-credit hour program that can be completed in 21 months* while working full-time for students who start in the fall semester. The program focuses on technical and analytical civil engineering knowledge and offers the choice between Geotechnical, Structural, or Transportation tracks.
Geotechnical Engineering track: This track extends the skills taught in the first two modules of the program and builds on basic skills in soil mechanics with an intensive focus on advanced saturated and unsaturated soil mechanics, soil dynamics, soil-structure interactions, geosynthetics, pavements, foundation engineering principles, and more. Students wishing to pursue the geotechnical track should have a B.S. in civil engineering or related engineering field with a strong background in calculus, differential equations, mechanics of materials, fluid mechanics, and soil mechanics.
Structural Engineering track: This track provides advanced practical design skills and a basis for analytical or experimental research. It dives deep into analysis, properties, fabrication methods, and applications of wood, steel and concrete. Students wishing to pursue the structural track should have a B.S. in civil engineering or related engineering field with a strong background in calculus, differential equations, rigid body mechanics, soil mechanics, structural analysis, and design with steel and concrete.
Transportation Engineering track: This track dives deep into engineering and economic analysis concepts and processes used to evaluate and support strategic and systematic investment, design of highways and pavements, multimodal systems, performance, and management of a transportation system. Students wishing to pursue the transportation track should have a B.S. in an engineering field with a strong background in calculus, differential equations, soil mechanics, and basic transportation engineering concepts.
Water Resources Engineering track: This track dives deep into water resources planning and management, geographic information systems, engineering hydrology, hydrometeorology, water law, open channel flow, watershed science or water reuse, groundwater structure, and water security. Students wishing to pursue the water resources track should have a B.S. in civil engineering or related engineering field with a strong background in calculus, differential equations, physics, chemistry and statistics.
Benefits of the Online M.S. in Civil Engineering
- Right Degree from a Top Engineering School – The importance of a graduate degree is increasing as the complexity of civil engineering projects continues to increase. OU offers this online program in key areas that are experiencing explosive growth. Earning your master’s degree from the Gallogly College of Engineering puts you in great company as the college is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as a top 100 Engineering school. Graduates gain access to the expansive and well-connected Sooner alumni network.
- Accelerated, Fully Online Program – The online M.S. program in Civil Engineering at OU allows you to complete your graduate degree while maintaining your full-time job. The curriculum has been developed for working adults and is delivered online – allowing you to complete your assignments when it is convenient for you. The highly accelerated format of the program allows you to learn new skills and earn your degree in less than two years.
- Applied, Practical Curriculum from Recognized Faculty – Armed with your undergraduate engineering degree, you have the broad perspective in the field of engineering – now it’s time to specialize. The OU program offers the opportunity to specialize in structural, geotechnical, transportation, or water resources engineering, and it moves beyond the theoretical to an applied curriculum that will impact your current work immediately. The School of Civil Engineering and Environmental Science faculty are distinguished teachers and researchers, having received numerous national and local awards, including eight NSF CAREER Awards, one of the highest honors given to faculty. In addition to their academic credentials, CEES faculty have more than 180 years of combined industry experience, and the faculty chosen to teach the online curriculum use their significant industry experience to enhance the learning environment. In fact, more than 60% of CEES faculty are licensed professional engineers.
- Incredible Student Experience – The online graduate experience is not just listening to a series of recorded lectures, followed by online quizzes. Rather, modules in this program include both synchronous and asynchronous activities designed to mimic the experience students would have in an on-campus program, while allowing for the flexibility of an online program.
* 21-month program only applies to students who start in the fall semester; spring starts can finish in 24 months.