Postdoctoral Fellow (1989) University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, USA
Ph.D. in High Energy Particle Physics (1988) University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, USA
B.S. in Physics (1982) Shandong University, Jinan, Shandong, China
To develop local intervention-based immunotherapy for cancer:
- Combination of laser irradiation and immunostimulation for treatment of metastatic tumors
- Mechanism of local treatment induced systemic antitumor immune responses
- Nanotechnology-based immunotherapy for cancer treatment
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (2018-2020)
- Benqing Zhou, Qiang Wu, Meng Wang, Ashley Hoover, Xin Wang, Feifan Zhou, Rheal A. Towner, Nataliya Smith, Debra Saunders, Jun Song, Liwei Liu, Junle Qu, and Wei R. Chen, “Immunologically modified MnFe2O4 nanoparticles to synergize photothermal therapy and immunotherapy for cancer treatment”, Chemical Engineering Journal, 396, 2019 (125239). (doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2020.125239)
- Mladen Korbelik, Judit Banáth, Wei Zhang, Tomas Hode, Samuel S.K. Lam, Paul Gallagher, Jianhua Zhao, Haishan Zeng, and Wei R. Chen, “N-dihydrogalactochitosan-supported tumor control by photothermal therapy and photothermal therapy-generated vaccine”, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology, B: Biology, 204, 111780, 2020.
- Christa I. DeVette, Harika Gundlapalli, Shu-Chin Alicia Lai, Curtis P. McMurtrey, Ashley Hoover, Hem R. Gurung, Wei R. Chen, Alana L. Welm, William H. Hildebrand, “A Pipeline for Identification and Validation of Tumor-Specific Antigens in a Mouse Model of Metastatic Breast Cancer”, OncoImmunology, 9(1), e1685300(1-15), 2020. (DOI: 10.1080/2162402X.2019.1685300).
- Shuhong Qi, Lisen Lu, Feifan Zhou, Yuzhou Chen, Mengli Xu, Lu Chen, Xiang Yu, Wei R. Chen, and Zhihong Zhang, “Neutrophil infiltration and whole-cell vaccine elicited by N-dihydrogalactochitosan combined with NIR phototherapy to enhance antitumor immune response and T cell immune memory”, Theranostics, 10(4), 1814-1832, 2020 (doi:10.7150/thno.38515).
- Connor L. West, Austin C.V. Doughty, Kaili Liu, and Wei R. Chen, “Monitoring Tissue Temperature during Photothermal Therapy for Cancer, Journal of Bio-X Research, 2(4), 159-168, 2019. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/JBR.0000000000000050).
- Chun-Yuan Chang, Chung-Yih Wang, Chun-Yu Wang, Kaili Liu, Yi-Jang Lee, and Wei R. Chen, “N-dihydrogalactochitosan, an immunological stimulant, potentiates radiosensitivity of liver metastatic breast cancer cells”, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 20, 5581 (1-15), 2019 (doi:10.3390/ijms20225581).
- Pei Liu, Weitao Yang, Lei Shi, Haiyan Zhang, Yan Xu, Peiru Wang, Guolong Zhang, Wei R. Chen, Bingbo Zhang, and Xiuli Wang, “Concurrent photothermal therapy and photodynamic therapy for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma by gold nanoclusters under a single NIR laser irradiation”, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 7, 6924-6933 2019 (doi: 10.1039/c9tb01573f).
- Lu Wang, Meng Wang, Benqing Zhou, Feifan Zhou, Connor West, Cynthia Murray, Rheal A. Towner, Nataliya Smith, Debra Saunders, Gang Xie, and Wei R. Chen, “PEGylated Reduced-Graphene Oxide Hybridized with Fe3O4 Nanoparticles for Cancer Photothermal-Immunotherapy”, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 7, 7406-7414, 2019, DOI: 10.1039/C9TB00630C.
- Yuanyuan Xu, Shan Long, Yunning Yang, Feifan Zhou, Ning Dong, Kesong Yan, Bo Wang, Yachao Zeng, Nan Du, Xiaosong Li, and Wei R. Chen, “Mathematical simulation of temperature distribution in tumor tissue and surrounding healthy tissue treated by laser combined with indocyanine green”, Theoretical Biology and Medical Modelling, 16:12, 2019 (/doi.org/10.1186/s12976-019-0107-3).
- Mladen Korbelik, Judit Banáth, Wei Zhang, Paul Gallagher, Tomas Hode, Samuel S.K. Lam, and Wei R. Chen, “N-dihydrogalactochitosan as immune and direct antitumor agent amplifying the effects of photodynamic therapy and photodynamic therapy-generated vaccines”, International Immunopharmacology, 75, 105764, 2019 (doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2019.105764).
- K. Tu Doan, Pratiksha Kshetri, Nattapume Attamakulsri, Derek R. Newsome, Feifan Zhou, Wei R. Chen, Gang Xu, and Melville B. Vaughan, “Chitosan derivatives reduce compaction and tension generation but not myofibroblast differentiation in the fibroblast-populated collagen matrix”, Molecules, 24, 2713-2726, 2019 (doi:10.3390/molecules24152713).
- Yong Li, Xiaosong Li, Austin Doughty, Connor West, Lu Wang, Feifan Zhou, Robert E. Nordquist, and Wei R. Chen, “Phototherapy using immunologically modified carbon nanotubes to potentiate checkpoint blockade for metastatic breast cancer”, Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine, 18, 44-53, 2019 (doi.org/10.1016/j.nano.2019.02.009).
- Austin Doughty, Ashley Hoover, Elivia Layton, Cynthia K. Murray, Eric W. Howard, and Wei R. Chen, “Nanomaterial applications in photothermal therapy for cancer”, Materials, 12, 779, 2019 (doi:10.3390/ma12050779).
- Meng Wang, Jun Song, Feifan Zhou, Ashley Hoover, Cynthia Murray, Benqing Zhou, Lu Wang, Junle Qu, and Wei R. Chen, “NIR-triggered phototherapy and immunotherapy via antigen-capturing nanoplatform for metastatic cancer treatment”, Advanced Science, 6, 1802157 (1-12), 2019 (DOI: 10.1002/advs.201802157).
- Yong Li, Xiaosong Li, Feifan Zhou, Austin Doughty, Ashley R. Hoover, Robert E. Nordquist, and Wei R. Chen, “Nanotechnology-based photoimmunological therapies for cancer”, Cancer Letters, 442, 429-438, 2019.
- Lei Shi, Min Luo, Fuhe Zhang, Linglin Zhang, Bo Wang, Pei Liu, Yunfeng Zhang, Haiyan Zhang, Degang Yang, Guolong Zhang, Feifan Zhou, Herbert Stepp, Ronald Sroka, Wei R. Chen, and Xiuli Wang, “Photothermal therapy enhanced the effectiveness of imiquimod against refractory cutaneous warts through boosting immune responses”, Journal of Biophotonics, 12, e201800149, 2019 (doi: 10.1002/jbio.201800149).
- Leton Chandra Saha, Okhil Kumar Nag, Austin Doughty, Hong Li, and Wei R. Chen, “An immunologically modified nanosystem based on non-covalent binding between single-walled carbon nanotubes and glycated chitosan”, Technology in Cancer Research & Treatment, 17 (1-8), 2018 (DOI: 10.1177/1533033818802313).
- Benqing Zhou, Jun Song, Meng Wang, Xin Wang, Jielin Wang, Feifan Zhou, Junle Qu, and Wei R. Chen, “BSA inspired gold nanorods loaded with immune-adjuvant for treating melanoma by combination of photothermal therapy and immunotherapy”, Nanoscale, 10(46): 21640-21647, 2018 (DOI: 10.1039/C8NR05323E).
- Feifan Zhou, Jingxuan Yang, Mingyang Liu, Mark L. Lang, Min Li, and Wei R. Chen, “Local phototherapy synergizes with immunoadjuvant for treatment of pancreatic cancer through induced immunogenic tumor vaccine”, Clinical Cancer Research, 24(21):5335-5346, 2018 (Nov 1), (doi: 10.1158/1078-0432).
- Haiyan Zhang, Peiru Wang, Xiaojie Wang, Lei Shi, Zhixia Fan, Guolong Zhang, Degang Yang, Cody F. Bahavar, Feifan Zhou, Wei R. Chen, and Xiuli Wang, “Antitumor effects of DC vaccine with ALA-PDT induced immunogenic apoptotic cells for skin squamous cell carcinoma in mice”, Technology in Cancer Research & Treatment, 17, 1-10, 2018. (doi.org/10.1177/1533033818785275)
- Fuhe Zhang, Lei Shi, Pei Liu, Linglin Zhang, Qianqian Wu, Bo Wang, Guolong Zhang, Peiru Wang, Feifan Zhou, Wei R. Chen, and Xiuli Wang, “A novel cosmetic and clinically practicable laser immunotherapy for facial verruca plana: intense pulsed light combined with BCG-PSN”, Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy, 22, 86-90, 2018.
- Min Luo, Lei Shi, Fuhe Zhang, Feifan Zhou, Linglin Zhang, Bo Wang, Peiru Wang, Yunfeng Zhang, Haiyan Zhang, Degang Yang, Guolong Zhang, Wei R. Chen, and Xiuli Wang, “Laser immunotherapy for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma with optimal thermal effects to enhance tumour immunogenicity”, International Journal of Hyperthermia, 16, 1-14, 2018. (doi:10.1080/02656736.2018.1446221).
- Shaojie Liu, Austin Doughty, Connor West, Zhilie Tanga, Feifan Zhou, and Wei R. Chen, “Determination of temperature distribution in tissue for interstitial cancer photothermal therapy,” International Journal of Hyperthermia, 34(6), 756-763, 2018. (doi:10.1080/02656736.2017.1370136).
- Zhifang Li, Haiyu Chen, Feifan Zhou, Hui Li, and Wei R. Chen, “Interstitial photoacoustic technique and computational simulation for temperature distribution and tissue optical properties in interstitial laser photothermal interaction”, Journal of Innovative Optical Health Science, 11, 1750011, 2018. (DOI: 10.1142/S1793545817500110).