OU Bands Audition Information
The OU Band department holds auditions for large ensembles and "The Pride of Oklahoma" marching band. When auditions are approaching, additional information will be available below.
Fall 2021 Large Ensemble Auditions
Auditions will take place August 21 - 23, depending on your instrument. Click the button below to register and download your audition materials. Music Majors and Minors must perform the assigned repertoire. Others should read the Audition Repertoire section below.
Percussionists will need to sign up for an audition time on the Percussion Studio Bulletin Board. All others will be assigned a time within the range indicated below for your instrument. Email Abbie Brown at email@example.com if you have a conflict with the audition time.
Be sure to register by 5pm the day before your audition. Audition results will be posted on the band and orchestra bulletin boards throughout the first week of classes.
- Music Majors and Minors must perform the prescribed repertoire
- Non-Music Majors/Minors
- Non-percussion: You may perform the prescribed repertoire, or select any two etudes of contrasting style that you feel best showcases your talents.
- Percussion: Select one of the following options
- One etude or excerpt from a solo on either snare drum or marimba
- The snare drum and keyboard selections from the prescribed Percussion repertoire
OU Band Scholarships
Thank you for your interest in auditioning for an OU Bands non-major scholarship! The OU Band awards non-major band scholarships to students majoring in fields other than music, who:
- Demonstrate musical excellence on their instrument at a level that places the student among the top of all OU Band students
- Participate in “The Pride of Oklahoma” Marching Band in the fall semesters of their collegiate career.
- Participate in a large concert ensemble in the spring semesters of their collegiate career.
NOTE: Since our marching band instrumentation does not include double reeds, non-major double reed students perform in a large concert ensemble both semesters to fulfill their scholarship obligations.
Non-major band scholarships are awarded based on the student’s demonstrated musical abilities via audition, performance history, and the current instrumentation needs of the band program.
Once a scholarship has been awarded, it will be retained by the student, provided the student is making satisfactory progress toward their degree and meet all requirements of their scholarship contract.
Additional requirements for non-major band scholarship consideration
Students will email the following items before May 21st to Dr. Wolfe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A resume listing the student's accomplishments in band and school; volunteer and work experience should be included as well.
- Two letters of recommendation. One letter from your band director, and the other letter can be from a teacher, coach, employer, etc.
Questions? Contact Audition Coordinator Dr. Brian Wolfe at email@example.com.