OU Bands Audition Information
The OU Bands department holds auditions for large ensembles and "The Pride of Oklahoma" marching band. When those auditions are approaching, additional information will be available below. For Jazz Band auditions, see the Jazz Auditions page.
Note: If you are planning on pursuing a music major or music minor degree program, you will have a separate audition to be accepted into the degree program. See the School of Music's Auditions & Admissions page for more details. You do not need to be a music major or minor to participate in ensembles.
Fall 2023 Large Ensemble Auditions
Auditions will take place Saturday, August 19 - Monday, August 21, depending on your instrument (see the schedule below).
All registered students except percussionists will be assigned a 5 minute time slot, within the range indicated below for your instrument. Your assigned time will be emailed to you before the audition date. Percussionists will need to sign up for an audition time on the Percussion Studio Bulletin Board after completing the registration form.
Results will be posted on the band and orchestra bulletin boards throughout the first week of classes.
To register for an audition, complete the form linked below by Saturday, August 12 at 5pm CST. All students must complete this form.
Select the category below that applies to you.
Music Major or Music Minor
- Winds: You may perform the prescribed repertoire in the "Music Major or Music Minor" section above. Or you may select any two etudes of contrasting style that you feel best showcase your talents.
Percussion: Select one of the following options
- One etude or excerpt from a solo on either snare drum or marimba
- The snare drum and keyboard selections from the prescribed Percussion repertoire in the "Music Major or Music Minor" section above.
OU Bands Non-Major Scholarships
Thank you for your interest in auditioning for an OU Bands non-major scholarship! The OU Band awards non-major band scholarships to students majoring in fields other than music, who:
- Demonstrate musical excellence on their instrument at a level that places the student among the top of all OU Band students
- Participate in “The Pride of Oklahoma” Marching Band in the fall semesters of their collegiate career.
- Participate in a large concert ensemble in the spring semesters of their collegiate career.
NOTE: Since our marching band instrumentation does not include double reeds, non-major double reed students perform in a large concert ensemble both semesters to fulfill their scholarship obligations.
Non-major band scholarships are awarded based on the student’s demonstrated musical abilities via audition, performance history, and the current instrumentation needs of the band program.
Once a scholarship has been awarded, it will be retained by the student, provided the student is making satisfactory progress toward their degree and meet all requirements of their scholarship contract.
Additional requirements for non-major band scholarship consideration
Students will email the following items before May 21st to Dr. Wolfe at email@example.com.
- A resume listing the student's accomplishments in band and school; volunteer and work experience should be included as well.
- Two letters of recommendation. One letter from your band director, and the other letter can be from a teacher, coach, employer, etc.
Questions? Contact Audition Coordinator Dr. Brian Wolfe at firstname.lastname@example.org.