Welcome to the OU School of Visual Arts
The OU School of Visual Arts at the University of Oklahoma cultivates a vibrant intellectual community that fosters the greatest possible excellence in the study of the visual arts, design, and art history. The School was established in 1915, and is the oldest and most comprehensive school of art in the state of Oklahoma. Through civic engagement, we endeavor to meet the artistic needs of Oklahoma’s citizens and promote the growth of culture. We offer the BFA and MFA in Art and the BA, MA, and Ph.D. in Art History. We strive for excellence in teaching, publishing, and creating art and design at the highest level. The School prepares our students for success nationally and internationally as artists, designers, scholars, teachers, and influential patrons of all the arts.
Spring 2023 SoVA Exhibition and Event Schedule:
- 109th School of Visual Arts Student Exhibition, April 3 – April 14, Lightwell Gallery, Reception April 14, 3 pm – 6 pm
- OU School of Visual Arts Spring Open House, April 14, 3 pm–6 pm
- Spotlight Gallery: Black Artists of Oklahoma Series 4: Christian Dixon’s Inner Reality, March 27– April 14
- MFA Thesis Exhibition at MAINSITE Contemporary Art, April 14 – April 28, Opening Reception April 14, 6 pm – 8:30 pm
- Charles M. Russell Center - 11th biennial Russell Center Symposium, Transnational Wests, April 21 – 9:30 am-4:30 pm, Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art Auditorium
- MFA Inclusive Exhibition at FJJMA, April 27–May 14, Reception Tuesday, May 2, 4pm – 6pm
- Capstone Art Exhibition, Spotlight Gallery, April 17–April 21, opening reception April 18, 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
- Capstone "Ellipsis" Art Exhibition–ATC +Studio, Lightwell Gallery, April 24–May 5, closing reception May 5, 6–7 pm
- Viscomm Capstone, May 5 - 12, opening reception May 5, 6 – 7pm
Support the OU School of Visual Arts
We appreciate your continued support to the OU School of Visual Arts.
Your gift will assist our talented students, regardless of circumstance,
to have the opportunity to develop their intellectual and cultural horizons.
Online giving is secure and easy. Select the Make a Gift link below.
MFA Inclusive Exhibition 2021
Art Exhibitions & Events
OU MFA THESIS EXHIBITON 2023
Artwork by Danielle Fixico, Hannah Harper, Craig Swan and Summer Zah.
Mainsite Contemporary Art
122 E. Main St., Norman
This event is open to the public.
11th biennial Russell Center Symposium, Transnational Wests
Friday April 21 – 9:30 AM-4:30 PM
Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art Auditorium
Register today at http://home.oufoundation.org/TransnationalWests. For accommodations, please call the Russell Center at (405) 325-5939.
SPEAKERS: JEREMIAH ARIAZ, Professor of Photography, Louisiana State University;
JENNIFER R. HENNEMAN, Ph.D., Director, Petrie Institute of Western Art, and Curator of Western American Art, Denver Art Museum;
EMILY VOELKER, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Art History, Univ. of North Carolina-Greensboro;
DANIKA MEDAK-SALTZMAN, Ph.D., (Turtle Mountain Chippewa), Assistant Professor, Women and Gender Studies, Syracuse University.
Breakfast 8:45-930 a.m. and reception 4:00-5:30 p.m. in the Charles M. Russell Center.