Online M.A. in Art and Technology
The University of Oklahoma Weitzenhoffer Family College of Fine Arts now offers an online Master of Arts in Art and Technology. Developed by the School of Visual Arts, this 33-credit hour program can be completed in as few as 18 months. Rooted in both a theory of art and art history, the program’s comprehensive curriculum bridges the world of art, design and technology, positioning students to utilize emerging technologies to push the boundaries of digital creation in the 21st century. Graduates of this program will have the ability to work as graphic designers, animators, game developers, programmers and more.
As a graduate of the online M.A. in Art and Technology, students will be able to:
- Understand key developments in history of art and the adaptation of new technologies in the production of art.
- Master technological competencies across various software used in the emerging art and technology space.
- Critically evaluate the applicability and effectiveness of different technologies and techniques as they relate to art and design.
- Create moving images, visual effects and 2D or 3D animation using industry-standard software.
- Understand essential principles of game design to create game environments, experimental narratives and other interactive media.
- Clearly present their work, explaining technical and creative decisions regarding their message and chosen medium.
The M.A. in Art and Technology is a fully online program that can be completed in as few as 18 months. It features:
- 11 courses totaling 33 credit hours
- A blend of asynchronous coursework and live online class sessions
- Elective courses for students to tailor their degree to their specific professional interests
- Variety of course formats that include seminars, technique development and production
- Comprehensive curriculum that blends art, design and technology
Course Topics Include:
- History and Theory of Art and Technology
- Creative Coding Techniques
- Emerging Art and Technology
- Video and Sound Techniques
- 3-D Animation Techniques
- Motion Graphics Techniques
- Moving Image Production
- Game Engine Techniques
- Interactive Media Production
- Mixed Reality Techniques
The program culminates with a Professional Project, in which students synthesize concepts across the curriculum to create an ordinal piece of work for their professional portfolios.
To apply, applicants must:
- Complete an online application at https://gograd.ou.edu/apply/
- Submit a current resume
- Provide official transcripts from all regionally accredited institutions attended (or appropriate international equivalent)
- Submit a personal statement
- Please explain your professional creative goals and interests and how they apply to the OU Art & Technology master’s program.
- Help reviewers better understand your portfolio through an artist statement about the work you are submitting
- Submit a visual portfolio including 10 images or media files of your artwork or professional work. This should present as a professional portfolio. Images should be oriented correctly.
- International students must demonstrate English proficiency
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and will be reviewed individually by the admissions committee at the Weitzenhoffer Family College of Fine Arts.