On behalf of OU Housing and Residence Life, thank you for your patience as we continue to address matters presented by the COVID-19 crisis. Today we write with an update on our guest policy during fall 2020 Move-In.
Our initial decision to restrict guests during the Move-In process was based on the following information to keep student and staff health and safety our top priority.
We will have approximately 800 - 1,000 people moving in to on-campus housing each day of Move-In. Adding two family members per resident, plus workers from the provided Move-In service, and OU Housing and Residence Life staff would increase population density during the Move-In process to include an extra 10,000 people in the Residence Halls during our multi-day process. Given that amount of people and the layout of our buildings, this would make practicing successful social distancing difficult for everyone. In addition, this would increase the time it takes to move residents’ items to their room.
Guest Policy for Fall 2020 Move-In
In an effort to balance allowing residents to bring guests into the halls and to ensure minimal interruptions to the Move-In process, OU Housing will implement the following process to allow for one (1) guest per resident to enter residential buildings from 5-9 p.m. on each day of the Move-In process from August 11-15.
- Guests will be required to wear masks at all times and abide by the University’s social distancing guidelines. For more information about OU’s mandatory mask requirement, see the OU masking policy.
- Residents must accompany their guest at all times while on campus.
- Guests exhibiting any symptoms associated with COVID-19 or have been in direct contact in the last 14 days with an individual diagnosed with COVID-19 must not come to campus.
All guests will need to vacate residential buildings by 9 p.m. daily.
Guest Policy for the 2020-2021 Academic Year
Residents are strongly discouraged from having guests in their living spaces this academic year. Each resident is allowed one guest that must remain with them at all times. A “guest” is any non-resident of the floor and/or building. All guests should exit the hall and/or building by midnight daily during the academic year.
- No overnight guests are allowed in the Residence Halls.
- Guests should remain in lobbies and wear PPE.
OU Housing and Residence Life will update residents as needed throughout the year.
If you have any questions, contact our office at (405) 325-2511 or email@example.com. Thank you for your patience.
Dr. ShaRhonda Maclin
Assistant Dean of Students and Executive Director of Housing and Residence Life