Division of Management Information Systems
The MIS division will host the 2020 Price College Distinguished lecture, on February 14, with Dr. Elena Karahanna, the L. Edmund Rast Professor of Business and UGA Distinguished Research Professor at the Terry College of Business, University of Georgia. Professor Karahanna’s is a leading scholar in Information Systems, whose current research examines online health communities, algorithmic coordination, and various types of bots such as bots on social media and conversational agents.
She will present her research titled, “Algorithmic Processes of Social Alertness and Social Transmission: How Bots Disseminate Information on Twitter.” The presentation will be at 1: 15 pm, in Price Hall 3040. All are welcome.
The MIS division includes a vibrant group of faculty, staff and students, collaborating to develop student skills, research and advance knowledge on information technologies for organizational use. Since its inception in 1995, the division has grown and thrived as a place for high quality information technology education and research. Please hear the interview of our alumnus, Jeff Weber (’86 BBA, MIS) and the CEO of ZoneTV in Los Angeles.
Some of our division highlights include the following:
- An MIS undergraduate program with a history of excellent placement record and high starting salaries for students.
- A nationally ranked graduate program with emphasis in Business Analytics and a doctoral program with a good placement record.
- World-renowned faculty, who have earned teaching and research awards, serve on major MIS journal editorial boards, and obtain externally funded grants. See recent publications.
- Scholarships are awarded every year to meritorious students from donations by companies and individuals. In 2019, over $100,000 in scholarship money were awarded to 85 students, with each individual scholarship ranging from $1000 to $5000.
- An active industry-academia partnership through the Center for MIS Studies, Member companies collaborate with faculty, support student recruiting and development. Please see some of our member companies at: http://www.ou.edu/price/mis/cmiss/membership
- MIS student association is an active social and study group that is also a student chapter of the Association of Information Systems. Hear one of our MISSA students, Lac Luong, discuss his summer internship.
- Programs and faculty have been nationally ranked with the Graduate program currently ranked in the Top 25 graduate programs in Business Data Analytics in the country, by The Financial Engineer Times (TFE), and the MIS undergraduate programs have been ranked among the Top 20 programs in the nation by US News and World Report.