Skip Navigation

Reverse Transfer

Reverse Transfer

Long, crimson divider

What is reverse transfer?

Generally, students will transfer coursework from a community college to a university to complete a bachelor’s degree. When the process is reversed and students transfer courses from the university back to the community college, we refer to the process as reverse transfer.

Reverse Transfer provides the opportunity to transfer university coursework back to the 2-year institution for the purpose of earning an Associate’s degree.

How do I know if I’m eligible for reverse transfer?

To be eligible for reverse transfer, students must complete at least 15 hours of coursework at a community college prior to completing their Associate’s degree.  Credit hours earned at the university will then be transferred back to the community college to complete degree requirements for an Associate’s degree.

Students should contact the Registrar’s office at their local community college for additional information and eligibility.

How are prospective OU transfer students notified about the possibility of reverse transfer?

Transfer students applying to OU are given the option on their OU application to consent to having their OU transcript shared with their community college to explore the possibility for reverse transfer and ultimately earning their Associate’s degree from their community college.

OU will also contact students who did not initially consent on their application to have their OU transcripts shared. We do this to make sure students are fully aware of the benefits of reverse transfer.

Benefits of reverse transfer.

Earning an Associate’s degree has several benefits to include:

  • Satisfying lower division general education requirements,
  • Additional credential to list on a resume,
  • Potential to increase career earnings/benefits.