Students of the University of Oklahoma are guaranteed certain rights by the constitutions of the United States and the State of Oklahoma and the University of Oklahoma Student Government Association. In recognition of those rights and in keeping with the values underlying them, the University of Oklahoma respects the following student rights:
1. To pursue an education as long as the University’s applicable academic standards, policies, regulations and applicable laws are followed;
2. To certain procedural due process, including notice and an opportunity to be heard;
3. To a prompt, fair, and impartial process during University investigations and proceedings, from an initial investigation to the final result;
4. In cases involving sexual misconduct, the complainant/reporting party and the respondent have the right to have the investigation and proceedings conducted by officials with annual training on issues related to dating violence, domestic violence, sexual violence, and stalking, and on how to conduct an investigation and hearing process that protects the safety of victims and promotes accountability;
5. To request appropriate action from the administration for any violation of a right guaranteed by this Code;
6. To establish or disseminate publications free from any censorship or other official action controlling editorial policy or content, in accordance with applicable regulations and University policy;
7. To invite and hear any speaker of choice on any subject, in accordance with applicable regulations and University policy;
8. To use campus facilities, in accordance with applicable regulations and University policy;
9. To peaceably assemble, to demonstrate, inform, or protest, in accordance with applicable regulations and University policy;
10. To be secure in his/her possessions, against invasion of privacy, and unreasonable search and seizure;
11. To form, join and participate in any student organization or group without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, age (40 or older), religion, disability, political beliefs or status as a veteran. Provided, in accordance with Oklahoma state law, a religious student association may choose to limit its membership or leadership based on the sincerely held religious beliefs, observances, or practices of the group; Provided further pursuant to Title IX, certain tax-exempt nonprofessional, social fraternities and sororities may be permitted to restrict membership based on sex; and
12. Not to be charged more than once for one incident by the Office of Student Conduct.
Students of the University of Oklahoma are responsible for complying with all local, state, and federal laws. As members of the University community, students are also responsible for familiarizing themselves with University policies and regulations when applicable.
In addition, students involved in Student Conduct proceedings initiated under this Code, whether as parties, witnesses, or panelists, have a duty to cooperate and discuss the incident with appropriate University officials, adhere to stated deadlines, attend scheduled meetings, provide documentation as requested and participate in all University proceedings. Failure to fulfill these responsibilities may result in a decision being made without the benefit of the student’s participation, or may result in a student being charged with failing to comply with the direction of a University official. Nothing herein shall be interpreted as abridging one’s right to be free from self-incrimination.
Students are responsible for meeting the University’s minimal standards of appropriate conduct and may be subject to Student Conduct proceedings for engaging in prohibited conduct. The following prohibited conduct is inclusive, but not exhaustive:
Under the authority of the Office of Institutional Equity and the Division of Student Affairs, complaints alleging Prohibited Sexual Misconduct must be directed to the Title IX Coordinator.
|Delta Gamma Strike 1
|Phi Delta Alpha Strike 1
|Tau Kappa Omega Strike 1
|Kappa Sigma Strike 2
|Chi Omega Sorority Strike 1
|Pi Kappa Alpha Strike 1
|Delta Tau Delta Strike 1
|Phi Delta Theta Strike 1
|Delta Upsilon Fraternity Strike 1
|Kappa Alpha Order Strike 1