Chemical, Biological & Materials Engineering
Chemical, Biological and Materials Engineering is a dynamic discipline. Among the drivers of change in chemical engineering are the rapid developments in renewable energy. A degree in CBME, whether at the undergraduate or graduate level, affords our students many opportunities. You will find our professors highly qualified and our staff committed to providing you with the best as you focus on your educational pursuit.
- CBME has two former undergraduates who were awarded prestigious National Science Foundation fellowships: Devin Griffith who is currently working towards a PhD at Carnegie-Mellon University, and Michael Zachar, who is currently working towards a PhD at the University of Minnesota. Congratulations!
- After 16 years of valued service Dr. Lance Lobban will be stepping down as Director to Chemical, Biological and Materials Engineering. Dr. Brian Grady has been announced as the new Director starting August 16.
- Goldwater scholarship recipients have been named and our very own Yuan Rui of Norman was one of three OU undergraduate students awarded the prestigious scholarship. (link to press release)
- Dr. Grady has been selected to serve as President of the North American Thermal Analysis Society in 2014.
- Dr. Jeffrey Harwell is featured in the President's Monthly Research and Development Highlights. (link to PDF)
- Former graduate Justin Woody, 28 - who made the Oil and Gas Investor June 2013 magazine of Twenty under 40 in E&P Companies page 79 OilAndGasInvestor.com . Justin is the Vice President of Engineering and Geoscience of Questar Corp in Salt Lake City.
- Dr. Jeffrey Harwell was named Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors 2013. Follow link to articles.
- Dr. Jeffrey Harwell, Bor-Jier (Ben)Shiau, Wei Wan, Ajay Rai, Tzu-Ping Hsu and Prapas Lohateeraparp have an article in INFORM Nov/Dec 2013 page 623 Designing surfactant-only formulations for a high salinity and tight reservoir.
- Dr. Daniel Resasco is the recipient of the 2013 Catalysis Club of Philadelphia Award
- Dr. Dimitrios Papavassiliou to serve as Program Director at NSF
- Technology co-developed by Drs. Harwell and Grady was named as one of the three finalists for Best Product Innovation, one of five ICIS Innovation Awards for 2013. Read more at http://www.icis.com/awards/best-product-innovation/; the winner will be announced in the fall. Good Luck!
- The PyroWall: US DOE chases the "The Three Big Barriers" to drop-in, thermochemical fuels
- Jeff Harwell explains how research into new greener surfactants could help unlock vast swathes of stranded oil. Read the article in the TCE Today.
- Graduate Research Community of Excellence $40,000 Fellowship Program.(PDF)