Skip Navigation

Political Science

Political Science

What is Political Science?

Known for its outstanding students, OU’s Department of Political Science consistently produces many notable campus leaders who go on to successful careers in the realm of politics and government. Students are leaders in OU’s Student Congress and many other organizations, and they draw on these experiences along with a vital political science education to prepare for future jobs. Political science coursework consists of classes in politics, administration, world governments, public policy, and international relations. The department maintains close affiliations with the Carl Albert Congressional Research Center and the Center for Risk and Crisis Management.

Career options abound for graduates of OU’s Political Science program, and many graduates find their way to government jobs in Washington, D.C., or to jobs in a wide variety of international locations. Career options include policy analysts, managers, and specialists for government agencies, think tanks, private consulting firms, and international businesses. Many students choose to apply to law school following completion of their bachelor's degree and go on to prestigious law programs around the country.

Two students meeting in building atrium

So, what's my degree?

A political science student graduates with a Bachelor of Arts in political science degree. The Department of Political Science offers three advanced degrees: Master of Arts, Master of Public Administration, and Doctor of Philosophy. Students may also participate in accelerated programs that award an MPA or MA after five years of study. Students can also minor in political science, public and nonprofit administration, elections and campaign management, intelligence and national security, nonprofit organizational studies, non-governmental organizations. 

Do my interests fit?

Political science students typically have interests in:

  • Politics
  • International relations
  • Foreign languages
  • Economics
  • History

High school preparation should include study in government, economics, and politics.

How can OU Political Science help me?

Both students and faculty in the Department of Political Science have made outstanding academic achievements. Undergraduates go on to such notable law schools as Harvard University, Southern Methodist University, the University of Texas, the University of Colorado, Georgetown University, and Vanderbilt University. Political science students and faculty have received Fulbright grants and fellowships for research in foreign countries, and other faculty recognitions include the Smith Richardson grant, Merrick Foundation Teaching Award, Regents Professor designation, UOSA Outstanding Professor designation, General Education Teaching Award, OU Foundation Excellence in Teaching Award, and the Regents' Award for Superior Teaching.

What courses will I take?

Political science courses include courses from the following groups:

  • GROUP I: American Politics
  • GROUP II: Comparative Politics
  • GROUP III: International Relations
  • GROUP IV: Public Administration
  • GROUP V: Public Policy
  • GROUP VI: Political Theory 

How can I study abroad?

OU has numerous study abroad opportunities for students of all majors. Whether you want to take electives, lower-division courses, or major requirements, be sure to check out what education abroad opportunities are available to you through the College of International Studies. 

What kind of career could I pursue?

  • Policy analyst
  • City, state, or federal elective offices
  • Campaign manager
  • Journalist
  • Foreign Service
  • Civil service administrator

  • Government and politics teacher
  • CIA
  • Nonprofit manager
  • International businesses
  • Law firms
  • International non-governmental organizations
  • Lobbyists

How much will I make?

Visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics website to explore the median pay for jobs you can pursue with this degree. 

Contact Us

college wordmark

Department of Political Science
Phone: (405) 325-6429