What should I do after landing at the airport?
Transportation is available for all new international students from the Oklahoma City Will Rogers World Airport to Norman, OK one week before classes begin through the David L. Boren College of International Studies.
A car is not necessary for living in Norman. Commute to/from campus and travel around Norman with the local Cleveland Area Rapid Transit (CART) bus system. Review the bus maps and schedules to find the routes closest to you. Many students chose to purchase bikes while in Oklahoma.
For exchange students living in campus housing, an apartment assignment may be sent to the student's OU email address prior to arrival. This email will contain instructions on the location and the process for Move-In Day. Move-In Day is typically on Monday or Tuesday one week before classes each semester.
When moving into your assigned university apartment, please bring your passport with you. This identification is required to pick up your apartment key. You will receive your official SoonerCard ID during this time.
Students arriving on Saturday or Sunday or after scheduled Move-In hours must find other housing accommodations overnight until the housing office reopens on the next business day. Please note: There are no youth hostels in Norman. Youth hostels are rare in the United States, but hotels can be reasonably priced. Some hotels in Norman have free shuttles that will bring you to campus; ask when making a reservation if this service is available.
The main Housing & Food Office for the University of Oklahoma is located in Walker Tower, Room 126, at 1406 Asp Avenue. The office is open Monday-Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
The NISO Experience
All new international students should complete the four components of the New International Student Orientation, known the NISO Experience. After arrival on campus, attendance at the ISS Arrival Appointment and Crimson Connection are mandatory.
Read more about the NISO Experience here.
Internet is readily available all across campus and in university housing. Both wired and wireless internet access is available to OU students. All electronic devices will have to register the first time students use them on the OU internet service. For more information about internet at OU and how to connect, please visit the OU IT website.
The following instructions will allow you to register any network-enabled device with a browser, such as a desktop or laptop computer and many mobile devices. To manually register a network device without a browser, such as a PlayStation, Xbox, or some mobile devices, visit https://net-reg.ou.edu from a device with a browser. Once logged in, you will be able to manually register these additional devices. You will need to find these additional devices' MAC addresses when registering. Instructions on locating the MAC address for your device can be found here.
You must have an active OUNet Account to complete the NetReg process.
Register a Device with a Browser
- Connect the computer to the wired OR OU WiFi wireless network.
- Open your web browser, and log in to the NetReg page.
- Fill in the requested information, agree to any terms and click Register.
- When you see the success page, click Log Out then restart your computer. If you cannot access the internet:
- Clear your browser's cache.
- Contact OU IT Solutions at 405-325-HELP.
Register a Device without a Browser
- To manually register a network device without a browser, such as a PlayStation, Xbox, or some mobile devices, visit https://net-reg.ou.edu from a device with a browser (such as a laptop, smartphone or tablet).
- Once logged in, you will be able to manually register these additional devices.
- You will need to find these additional devices' MAC addresses when registering. Instructions on locating the MAC address for your device can be found here.