Skip Navigation

FERPA FAQs - Students

FERPA FAQs - Students

Long, crimson divider

Your rights under FERPA commence on the first day you begin attending class as an admitted student.

Generally, no, parents may not access educational record information for students enrolled in a postsecondary institution. However, if you are a dependent and your parents fill out the Parental Access to Student Education Records Form, they may access your educational records.

  • Do you need a verification of your enrollment or other education information? You can order a transcript online through Parchment, or you can contact to obtain a verification letter.
  • Do you want to share your Bursar account information? To add an authorized user to your Bursar account, follow the authorized users instructions listed on the Bursar webpage.

Under FERPA, there are a few exceptions which permit the University to release non-directory information without your prior consent. Those exceptions are listed under “Other Permitted Reasons for Disclosure” on the Release of Information page.

Information that is defined as “directory information” may be released even without student consent and without meeting one of the exceptions UNLESS you have directed the University to withhold that information by submitting a Directory Hold Form. If a Directory Hold is in place, no information may be released, including verification of whether the student is enrolled at OU, until you submit a Directory Hold Release Form.

You can place a directory hold by filling out the Directory Hold Form online. After you submit a Directory Hold Form, the University will not release any form of information about you without your written consent, even after you leave the University. To remove a Directory Hold, just submit the Directory Hold Release Form.

  • The Office of the Registrar maintains and releases information pertaining to students’ academic records. Additional academic records may exist in other campus offices, such as college advising offices and faculty offices.
  • The Office of Student Conduct manages information pertaining to students’ discipline records.
  • Career Center is the official office of the University for collecting and releasing information furnished or authorized by students for the purpose of seeking employment.
  • Billing information is maintained by the Office of the Bursar, and financial aid information is maintained by the Student Financial Center.

Questions or Concerns

If you have any questions or concerns about FERPA law or OU’s FERPA policies, you may contact the Office of the Registrar or the Office of Legal Counsel.