Skip Navigation

Parent Resources



Parent Resources

Learn more about the OU resources offered to parents.



Parent FAQ

First, congratulations to your student! We cannot wait to welcome your student to campus. Encourage your student to log into their OU Bound to learn more about their next steps!

Students enroll in classes during their New Sooner Orientation (NSO) day, which takes place over the summer. NSO is a key part of every new student's successful transition to OU. Before students can schedule a NSO day, they must submit their enrollment deposit. 

Academic support is available through free Action Tutoring, the OU Writing Center, academic advising, placement tests, faculty mentoring, freshman transition programs, and more, all to help OU students succeed.

All incoming first-year students must live in freshman-designated university housing for two semesters. All our living communities have unique communiities, floor plans, and amenities. Your student must submit the housing application by May 1, to learn more about that process explore the housing application process. For roommates, students can either choose a roommate by seaching for a specific person, browsing suggested roommates, or searching based on specific answers to profile questions.

OU offers several unique on-campus living options for sophomores, juniors and seniors, including our Residential Colleges, comprised of Dunham College and Headington College, and Traditions Square, which offer apartment-style living. Visiting our Halls and Apartment page for more information. Students can also live in off-campus houses or apartments.

Football season tickets for students will go on sale in August. A lottery to determine which students will be eligible to purchase season tickets will be held if demand for season tickets exceeds supply. OU students are admitted free to all sports except football and men’s basketball. For exact dates and more information on student tickets, please visit the soonersports page.

The OU Federal Credit Union offers full banking service to students. With on and off campus locations, OUFCU is a great financial option for Sooners. Visit the OUFCU page for more information. MidFirst Bank ATMs are also available in Union and each residential hall. A surcharge of $2.50 is applied if you are not a MidFirst Bank member.

Sooner Sense is the debit account that all Sooner Card holders can utilize for financial transactions across campus. Sooner Sense is convenient and easy to use. All funds are tied to the cardholder’s account and accessed by swiping or tapping the Sooner Card at select locations.  Sooner Sense can be used campus-wide at every campus dining location, WEPA printing kiosks, and the University of Oklahoma Online Bookstore. Sooner Card Online is the fastest, most convenient way to make a deposit to your student's Sooner Sense account. You can also deposit funds to your student's Sooner Sense account through the Transact eAccounts mobile app for iOS and Android. 

Have your student log in to Click the "Financial" tab at the top left hand corner of the page. Scroll down to "Authorized Users" and click "create an authorized user". From there, your student can add, delete or edit authorized users. Authorized users can make payments on the student’s behalf, view statements and payment history, access tax documents and other Bursar information.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), also known as the Buckley Amendment, is a federal law protecting the privacy of student educational records. Under FERPA, students who are either (a) 18 or older or (b) who attend a school beyond the high school level have certain rights over information in their educational record. Parents do not automatically have FERPA rights to access information on students who meet either of those requirements; however, they may provide documentation that the student is a dependent in order to access their student’s records.

If the student is not a dependent but still wishes to share their education record information with you, they can complete the complete the Permission to Release Education Record Information form online.

To learn more, visit the FERPA parent FAQ page. 

Parent Orientation

At OU, we recognize that a student’s success is contingent not only upon them, but their community. And more often than not, that starts with their supporters, family, and guardians. At New Sooner Orientation, our Director of Parent & Family Programs will offer a session just for parents and families to learn about the resources, best practices, and events related to their new student and their transition to OU. Whether your student is a first-generation college student or a fifth-generation Sooner, it’s important as the supporting unit, to know when, where and how to best communicate and assist in navigating your student’s time at OU. 

Parent Stories

Freshman Packing 101

April 18, 2023

With August just around the corner you might be thinking: What do I need when I come to OU? Don't worry, we gathered packing tips from students across campus to help you prepare!

Parent Survival Guide

April 17, 2023

The impact of having more free time and the absence of your college student can be monumental, but if approached in a healthy way, there can be advantages. Hear from Tracy Carlson, OU Parent and Family Programs Coordinator, to learn her tips and methods on how to cope and thrive with your college student's absence.