Skip Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions: Transfers

Applying to OU

  • Once you complete seven or more college-level hours after your high school graduation date, you are considered a transfer student at the University of Oklahoma. This does not include remedial or concurrent course work (course work taken in college before high school graduation). Visit our transfer page to see requirements and resources. 
  • In general, you will apply at the beginning of the semester prior to the semester you want to attend OU. The spring application goes live on June 1. The Fall and Summer application goes live on August 1 of the previous year.
  • Your admissions counselor is a university employee who is responsible for admissions and recruiting in your region. They help families through the college search process and provide insight as requested. They frequently review and make decisions on admission applications. It is important that you build a relationship with the admissions counselor so they can advocate on your behalf during the admissions process. They’re familiar with scholarship opportunities and can identify resources to help you succeed.
  • No, Students who have attended OU previously as degree-seeking students are not considered transfer students, even if transferring in with additional coursework since leaving OU, and should apply for readmission.
  • While students will receive credit for the number of hours and the GPA earned at another institution, it is not guaranteed that all classes will go towards their chosen degree option. Students can check how courses may fit into the degree checksheet using our Transfer Equivalencies Database.
  • As long as coursework is earned at an accredited institution for higher learning, then students will receive credit for all non-remedial college coursework.
  • OU does not have a maximum number of transfer hours, but a student would need at least 60 hours of senior (four-year)  institution hours and would need to fulfill the 30 hours of residency (OU course) hours.
  • Each individual degree program has their own specific requirements regarding transfer hours that may be stricter than what is stated above.
  • Please refer to our program requirement checksheets to see specific degree requirements, as well as talking to your advisor after admission.
  • An Articulation Agreement is a formal document produced when two or more academic institutions follow a process leading to a partnership to provide a formalized pathway for student transfer.
  • No matter how much college credit has been earned prior to high school graduation, students are only considered  transfer students if they have attempted seven or more hours of college level credit after graduating from high school.
  • We have a dedicated team of admissions and recruitment experts who work with transfer students. You can email with any questions.
  • There are two main categories of scholarships for transfer students: academic and competitive scholarships. Please note that for the purposes of these scholarships, you are only considered a transfer student if you have completed 24 college credit hours post high school graduation.
  • We also offer the Work Assistance Tuition Waiver designed to assist current undergraduate students that work 25+ hours per week during the academic year.
  • Phi Theta Kappa is a national honor society for students attending two-year institutions.
  • Eligible students who achieve membership status to PTK can receive a Transfer Scholarship to recognize their achievement.
  • Transfer students who qualify for and receive Oklahoma's Promise and are members of the Phi Theta Kappa honor society or in the Ticket to Rose program through Rose State College may be eligible to receive Crimson Commitment on the Norman Campus. An Oklahoma's Promise transfer student from Tulsa Community College to OU's Polytechnic Institute in Tulsa (OUPI) may also be eligible to receive Crimson Commitment.
  • For more information about the full requirements and benefits, please visit the Crimson Commitment Transfer Webpage.
  • No. They may be transferring in work but they are not eligible for transfer  scholarships
  • Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees earned in the state of Oklahoma will transfer to OU. Lower division general education coursework is considered satisfied. Check with your advisor for specific general education requirements needed for your major. You can also Reverse Transfer if you don’t complete your Associate’s degree before transferring to OU
  • OU does not accept any Associate Degrees from out of state schools or any Applied Science Associate degrees. 
  • Yes! You can see our events for transfer students on our Events Page, listed under “college transfers.”
  • Students with bachelor’s degrees from another institution who wish to earn a second bachelor’s degree or to take classes as a degree seeking student should apply as a transfer student. Students with bachelor’s degrees who wish to take classes as non-degree seeking students will apply as post-baccalaureate non-degree seeking students.
  • No, most of your general education requirements will be considered completed. There may be a few required general education classes that are unique to your degree program, but you will never have to retake a class that you passed at a previous institution that is listed as equivalent in our transfer equivalency database.

After Admissions

  • You’ll meet with an academic advisor after you’ve been admitted. Your Academic Advisor is someone who can help you in selecting a major and career; monitor your academic progress; and provide information in designing, developing, and implementing individual academic plans. You can find their contact information in, after admission.
  • After admission, and after activating your OU account, visit to see your transfer credit on your unofficial transcript
  • We have a dedicated team of admissions and recruitment experts who work with transfer students. You can email or call us at 405-325-2151 with any questions.
  • You can also use the “Meet Your Admissions Counselor” page to see who your specific counselor will be and what events they will be hosting for transfer students

Still have questions?